Friday, May 4, 2012

"All Our Tomorrows"


When I prepare for yet another day, another exit from darkness into the world,
I often think of staying in, of holding onto a moment, an unlikely permanence,
but it it impossible to do this. I have tried, many times and times again, to muscle 
time into paralysis, to render it immobile, immutable, and still.

With all the memories I have, I create tomorrow. What could ever come of a thought, though? Nothing! I can imagine fishing with my cousin off a muggy Florida bay, the thought so clear but never to come true. I can think of my father and I drinking coffee in my broken truck, those feelings of simple and pure love, but it will never be quite like that. I am holed up in a box of space and time.

Yesterday is gone. It is impossible too. The future is more impossible though, not because it never happened but because it never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment